Watch the video (5min 32sec) or read the text
The ten attributes of successful sales people
- Natural curiosity and listening: Why is that? Why does this happen? A great sales person has an insatiable curiosity to find out more about their clients coupled with the active listening skills to really hear what's being said
- Analytical: The intellect and will to figure out the causes and effects, to sift the peripheral issues from the main events, the ability to see what needs to change and how. A great sales person can see in their minds the ‘what is’ and the ‘what could be’ and help their client’s see it too
- Genuine focus on the customer’s success: A great sales person cares more about their client’s success than their own. They really care their clients get to the bottom of issues and find ways of solving them
- Detachment from the outcome: The only interest in the final outcome of a great sales person is the client’s success.
- Gravitas and business sense: All great sales people have the presence and business sense to form equal, balanced relationships with their clients – at every level
- A give to get philosophy: The great sales person gives their time and experience as a subject matter expert to help their clients figure out ways to make their business better
- Their sales process adds value: Even if the client ends up not buying, or buying from somebody else, the great sales person’s sales process will have added value to their client’s business in its own right
- Insight to help clients: The most effective sales people often aren’t the so-called ‘natural’ sales people. The quiet guy with great insight will often be much successful in the long run
- Belief in their organisation: If a sales person doesn’t believe in the organisation they’re working for, the customer will know. If this applies to you, it’s time to think long and hard about what you’re doing.
- Never stop learning: Great sales people are constantly reading business books, listening to podcasts or watching videos. The drive is to keep learning more to have better insights for their clients
Here's what to do next
If you’re interested in how this could help you, or feel I may be able to help you with some of the challenges you’re facing, please get in touch for an informal discussion.
There’s no commitment, we’ll just discuss your situation to see if working together might be a good fit.
By Mike McCormac
Mike McCormac founded Sales Success and More to help professional sales people selling high value services achieve more. He has an MBA and his sales background includes over 15 years success selling IT services and outsourcing. Mike works mainly in the UK and Cyprus. Learn more at: www.salessuccessandmore.com/sales-success-and-more/about-mike-mccormac